Re: [Amps] 813's

To: chris@g3vbl.co.uk, vic@rakefet.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813's
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 05:13:24 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/2006 5:17:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
chris@g3vbl.co.uk writes:

The  ARRL publication "Single Sideband for the Radio Amateur" Fifth
Edition  1970 also has these amps on pp138-141.

I too have seen these amp articles and indeed the tubes were mounted
horizontally by the author whom I do not remember his name. Assuming Collins
did  in
fact make a transmitter with 813's in the horizontal, I would think it is OK
to do so.  I do not know what tubes their "service manual" called for but I
think RCA tubes were used by the military which I think also carried a VT type
designation.   Now there may have been a "mil spec" type of 813 which
allowed this type of mounting but I really doubt it.  I would think that  the
mil
spec would have dealt with other issues in regard to the tube.  I  would think
that a tube would have to be somewhat "ruggedised" to be used in a  military
setting.

On the other hand I am not aware how the Collins transmitter was set up in
relation to vertical vs horizontal if you know what I mean.  Does anybody
know?  Sometimes units are built as modules  and then orientated   differently
in
the final unit which may change the orientation.   If that indeed is not the
fact with the Collins, I would assume it is OK to run  them horizontally.

 So I guess the final issue would be to know if the  orientation in the
Collins military radio was in fact horizontal and  if there was a "special"
version
of this tube for military purposes to deal with  this fact?  Does anybody
know this?

 I once had a set of NOS military issued 813's in their original  packing and
if I recall there were some markings on the tube (looked like an  anchor of
sorts) which might have signified "NAVY"  73 Louie  W1QJ