Re: [Amps] 813's

To: k7fm <k7fm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813's
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 12:45:55 -0700
k7fm wrote:
> The RCA Transmitting Tubes Technical Manual TT-5 states the following:
>
> OPERATING CONSIDERATIONS
>
> "The 813 ... may be operated in vertical position with base up or down, or
> in horizontal position with pins 2 and 6 in vertical plane."
>
> Be sure to reduce ratings to 50% if you are operating it at 120 MHz.

There was an article in ARRL handbooks of the late '50s or early '60s
describing a series of single-band amplifiers each using a pair of
813's.  Construction was simple, with a pair of chassis behind a short
rack panel and the 813's mounted horizontally.  The author left the
plate voltage connected and just lit the filaments (and I presume
switched drive and antenna) of the one he wanted to use.  I built a
similar amplifier, although mine was for 80-40-20 meters.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco