Re: [Amps] LK-500 problem

To: Jim Kearman <jkearman@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK-500 problem
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:15:07 -0700

From: Jeff Strailey <liveccam@yahoo.com>
I recently obtained an Amp Supply LK-500ZB. The first order of business was the
conversion to 120 volt operation. When the amp is powered plate voltage as
measured by the internal meter is about 1500 volts instead of the 3100-3300 vdc

I once bought a used SB-220 that had been "converted" to a full- wave bridge rectifier instead of the full-wave voltage doubler supplied by Heathkit.

 One advantage of a FWD over a FWB is that the transformer can be made more efficient because less insulating paper is needed, which in turn allows more copper to be used, thereby reducing ESR. A disadvantage of a FWD is that it requires 2x as much C as a FWB.

NOTE: I sure would try to run that amp off 240 V, not 120.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734 r@somis.org