Re: [Amps] SB-220 Plate Tuning Capacitor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Plate Tuning Capacitor
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 22:40:58 -0400
Bud,

Since Oren Elliott has made the one capacitor, I'll bet they made both tune and
load C in the later models. They're who pretty much makes the majority of them
now which are ceramic bodied like tune caps, or steel-aluminum like load caps.
There only a few who make their own like Palstar, and I think MFJ makes some,
or someone else is doing them for them as they dont use ceramic insulators.
Palstar uses Glastic for the insulator ends. Some from MFJ I've seen use a
fiberglass-epoxy board (strip) or similar for the end insulators. These are the
ones I seen in their antenna tuners.

The problem in making these is stamping out the capacitor plates. The edges
have to be burr free and take expensive close tolerance punch and die sets to
make. If the plates have a sharp edge, they tend to arc over easily. The reason
I knew about OE is because that's who I used to buy from as an OEM. They make
some jim-dandy air variables, and a new model roller inductor. They use a
different material now in the coil form where it's RF safe. The APL line they
have is what I used a lot of.  They have a smaller line than these too. The
other manufacturer I used for padder types was Arco using the model 302 and 304
type compression trimmers in input tune circuits.

Best,

Will