Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] R. MEASURES PRAYERS ANSWERED
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:09:31 -0700
On Jun 3, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/3/2006 1:49:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> w7ry@centurytel.net writes:
>
> The main  issue with SB-220 band switches is because of the front
> panel
> layout, the  band switch gets turned instead of the loading control
> when
> in tune-up  mode.
>
> YES THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM, BUT THAT DOES NOT ACCOUNT FOR THE 10
> METER AND
> 15 METER CONTACTS BEING BLOWN AWAY.

Good point, Lou  The reason that the 10m and 15m L contacts get
toasted is because 110MHz can not go much beyond the input end of the L.

> The  very late SB-220s and HL-2200s had longer tune caps. Or Heathkit
> made them  available on a replacement basis. I have seen several
> SB-220s
> with  them.

The TL-922 also uses a 4500v Tune-C.  To protect the bandswitch from
arcs, I bent the first rotor plate until the breakdown potential
dropped tp 3500v, which is still c. 900v higher that the actual peak
AC anode voltage.

> OF THE DOZENS I HAVE SEEN INCLUDING HL-2200'S THIS WAS NOT THE
> CASE  ALTHOUGH
> I NEVER TOOK MEASUREMENTS MY FEELING IS THEY WERE ALL THE SAME.
>
> 73  LOU

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org