Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: "Joe Isabella" <n3ji@yahoo.com>, <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>,"Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "zdtech" <zdtech@iprimus.com.au>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:45:26 -0700
From: "Joe Isabella" <n3ji@yahoo.com>

> That's the last thing we "need" -- more bogus regulations that can't
> possibly be enforced without a dedicated staff that 99.99% of the
> taxpayers I'm sure don't want to pay for.
>
> Besides, if they don't care now, they won't care if the rules change,
> either.
>
> Joe, N3JI

The market could take of the enforcement, Joe. Add the spectral mask to
the part 97, and then overlay the mask on the ARRL product test report
IMD plots. You can bet your bottom dollar that this would light a fire
under the butts of the manufacturers to clean up their act. No manufacturer
would want to have a review showing that their product was outside a
part 97 spectral mask. Now granted this wouldn't prevent users from
turning the knobs all the way clockwise and screwing things up, but at least
with a spectral mask and the aforementioned marketing pressure, rigs
would be capable of clean operation "out-of-the-box", something that
isn't always the case right now. Heck with this approach, you might
even see manufacturers advertising their superior transmitter IMD they
way they are now touting  low phase-noise and excellent receiver dynamic
range.