Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, R L Measures <r@somis.org>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
Really Joe??  So how many rigs do you have with an "ISB" button?  None of mine
do.  It does however have an AM button, as well as 4k+ (at -6dB) of SSB right
out of the box.  With 4k of audio, phonetics are not required and "arm-chair
copy" means exactly that -- clean & clear speech without question of whether
the call sign had a "P" or "T", "Z" or "C", "S" of "F", etc. in it.  The
justification for BW greater than 3k is exactly the reason you stated -- this
is Amateur Radio, and we should be free to experiment as such.  There is
nothing morally or technically wrong with 4 or 6k of SSB (with sufficient
available BW), and I would argue that it is actually superior to AM due to
reduced RF BW for the same AF BW (less than half) and greater efficiency.  It
sounds great and has gotten a lot of new blood interested in our service.

Not to mention the fact that there is a whole lot of vintage AM gear out there
that you would make illegal for nothing but arbitrary reasoning.  I'd like to
know exactly what that reasoning is, though (other than your edict).

That said, mis-tuned amps, slamming ALCs, etc. (in other words, a lot of
contesters & DX'ers) should be admonished for their operating behavior, as well
as anyone else that thinks "all knobs & meters to the right" is the way to
operate.  My amp is tuned up at 2kW+, then my rig's drive is reduced for 1.5kW
out.  With 4kV on the plates of the 3-500ZGs and 150W available from my rig, I
can get that easily and very cleanly.  Usually, I end up driving the amp with
about 85W which is slightly more than half of what the rig's full output is
even before ALC kicks in.  And in operation, I drive the rig so I get *NO* ALC
at all.  I defy you to show me a cleaner way to run my station.  I'd bet a cup
of coffee that it's more narrow than many contest stations heard on the air on
any given contest weekend, even with 4.2k of audio.

In other words, "Good audio is an Amateur Radio Tradition, not a Crime"
(borrowed tag line from another Amateur).

Joe, N3JI