Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

To: Jim Tonne <tonne@comcast.net>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
Jim,
I worked on military versions of those old, analog TDM multiplexing systems.
One was called an "FCC-18", and was quite large.  We had a more modern version
of that on a second system I believe made by GTE, but the model escapes me
right now.  Both were sent over tropo-scatter microwave systems that have long
been ripped out in favor of digital satellite, fiber, and microwave backbone
links.

There's one thing that you need to consider with this line of thinking -- we're
not trying to maximize profits over a fixed analog BW.  We as control operators
can change our transmission characteristics to match the conditions and band
fidelity, when there's less BW, we use less speech BW.  Even the latest
cellular NW are doing that!  When the NW gets heavily loaded (rush hour, for
example), they reduce everyones' speech coding, even going to half-rate when
necessary.  The lowest coding rates are noticeably distorted, though (that
"digitally" sound). The tradeoff, of course is that you can make or maintain
that call insead of getting "NW Busy" or dropped calls.  More maintained calls
= more $$$ and happier customers, which means more $$$, etc.

Joe, N3JI