Re: [Amps] QRO membership revoked

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "Amps Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO membership revoked
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:29:15 -0700
"I just spent four days of transmitting with less than 26
watts. This is the longest accumulated time I've spent since
1962 or 63 at such a disgusting power level. I have a hollow
gnawing feeling in my stomach, like I haven't eaten a good
meal for days.

73 Tom"

Transmitting is not the problem, Tom.  No harmful effect will be suffered.
It is receiving that is the problem.  Any weak signal will require the brain
to supply the missing information, and information supplied is therefore
permanently removed from the brain.  Since the brain has limited capacity,
that removal of information will, if continued for sufficient periods, will
destroy much of the capacity.

If you were transmitting into a dummy load, where no one could hear you,
there would be no problem.  But, if you were using an antenna, it could have
affected a substantial number of listeners.  The good news is that it is
somewhat self regulating, particularly with a poor antenna.  The lower the
power, the less number of people who will be able to hear your poorly -
which means the less the damage.  It helps if you have a directional
antenna, and turn it to a location where the propagation is poor or there
are few hams.

Try to remember that a gentleman ham always increases power to a sufficient
level so that the person receiving does not have to use any of his brain to
figure out what you said.

73,  Colin  K7FM