Re: [Amps] Low Pass Filter capacitor ratings for 1.5kw level

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, mike kendall <ke6cvh@yahoo.com>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low Pass Filter capacitor ratings for 1.5kw level
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:41:05 +0200 (CEST)
Tom said:
>The biggest worry is generally current rating, not voltage
rating. A secondary worry is impedance of leads if you
intend to reject very high frequency harmonics.
The caps must of course have to have enough voltage, and the
voltage can be higher than the input and output voltage
depending on the exact filter design.<

I am not disagreeing at all with Tom, but would add that some extra headroom
should be allowed for SWR - both in voltage rating and the resultant current in
the capacitors. Although doubtless there will be an SWR sensor, it appears to
me that designing to withstand a 2:1 is a good idea, to give some headroom
before things can be shut down.
Incidentally, it isn't often recognised that there can be voltage step up in
the middle of the filter.
73
Peter G3RZP