Re: [Amps] Grid Vs cathode drive

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Vs cathode drive
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:56:44 -0400
> Will said:
>> If the FCC hadn't screwed this up, amateur transceivers
> most likely would have been built with a lower
> transmitting power.<

CB screwed it up, not the FCC.

Hams not only gve up 11 meters, the CB amplifier builders
and users wound up forcing the power gain limitations, the
50 watt minimum drive, automatic (RF) keying ban, and zero
dB gain near the CB band rules. Then the CBers took over the
commercial frequencies near the CB band.

> I don't know about that, since before the FCC ruling,
> there were plenty of rigs with a pair of 6146s (of various
> varieties) around. KWM2 for instance, and over here, the
> KW2000A. Not sure if the SB401 predated the FCC rule - I
> rather suspect it did. The early Yaesu rigs were around
> 100 watts output - the FL200B tx. Before 1960, the KW
> Viceroy was a SSB TX available in either 5 watt or 100
> watt versions, and the 100 watt was the most popular. In
> AM days, the '100 watt' rig with a pair of 6146s or before
> that, a pair of 807s, was pretty popular - the DX100, for
> instance.

The DX 100 was a pair of 6146's. There actually were very
few commercial amateur rigs ever built below 50 watts input.
Virtually everything centered  somewhere around 100 watts,
with the Johnson Navigator, Johnson Ranger, DX 40 and 60,
Eico 723, and so on  using a single 6146 and many other rigs
using two 6146's or larger.

As far as I recall the 5 watt QRP thing wasn't popular at
all on HF until solid state. Like TT says 100W used to be
considered QRP.  If you look at the TX specs of most 5W
rigs, no one should be using them with an amp anyway. Some
of them are one step removed from class C.

I think the thing that stops QRP rigs is the fact most
people don't enjoy intentionally making other people
miserable.

73 Tom