Re: [Amps] solid-state amp "suckout"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] solid-state amp "suckout"
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:34:35 +0100

Scott Townley wrote:
> I have a broadband, solid-state amp that seems to have a large-signal
> "suckout".  The small-signal gain across the HF band is as expected, 10.5dB
> decreasing to 9.5dB at 30MHz.  But under full drive, the output at 17m is
> down more than 3dB, and at 15m down about 2dB.  Input VSWR is <1.5:1 for all
> bands, small and large signal.  This is just the amplifier modules; no
> bandpass filtering is in place.
> Any ideas or suggestions?
What are the modules?

Resonances in the transformers or feedback networks can cause this, but
be prepared for your amplifiers to have unique problems. It might be
that the fundamental frequency load line has strayed. You haven't added
any output filtering, but the output transformer and any frequency
'tweaking' components can cause the same effects once the harmonics get
outside the frequency range of the transformer and start getting reflected.

It's dead easy to throw you these comments. It's a serious pain trying
to fix the problem, even with the benefit of lots of test gear.

Steve