Re: [Amps] Inverter Microwave HV Supply

To: vk3hz@wia.org.au, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Inverter Microwave HV Supply
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:01:04 -0400
David,

The way to stiffen it up (improve regulation) is to increase the filter
capacitor size. However, this will increase the rms current needed coming into
the switching supply (charging current increases), and the inductor or
switching device (transistor, FET, etc) may not handle it. I'm not sure what
they use, a transformer or a choke, but it would increase the current through
both by increasing the capacitance. Another thing that would affect it is the
size of the inductor itself. The heavier it is, the better the regulation will
be. In other words, the higher the output current rating, the better it will
be. My guess is that the rms current would be around 1.8 to 2 times the DC
current (load current) to operate the way you want it to (good regulation).

Best,

Will