Re: [Amps] pwr supplies

To: "'carl s.'" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] pwr supplies
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:57:27 -0400
Dear Carl,

I used a Tripp-Lite 20 for the 12 volt supply in my hotel portable shack
until upgrading to an Astron RM-70A.

The Astron was chosen because it was decided to retire the switching supply
on the Yaesu FT-1000MP, and the shack needed some additional ampacity.

The Tripp-Lite unit used here was quiet, but the interior is not fan-cooled,
which
results in components heating up from proximity to the transformer, etc.

Additionally, the Tripp-Lite was augmented with considerable bypassing
and a ferrite bead around the a.c. input, for the shack had some stray RF
wandering around because of the less-than-efficient antenna system.

The Tripp-Lite was originally chosen to power up a Kenwood TS-450-S/AT
and that unit would crank out 100 watts easily with the 25 peak amper rating
of the Tripp-Lite unit.

While the Astrons are hefty units, the Tripp-Lites are a close second. The
Tripp-Lites
do not use as much filter capacitance as the Astrons, but their ripple
voltage is
way, way low. Both the Astrons and Tripp-Lites are linear supplies, and
neither produce
any noticeable hash in the receiver(s).

  Hal Mandel
W4HBM

[snip]
  Can anone enlighten me as to the Specs on the DC pwr. supp.
   known as Tripp-lite ?:?   (20 amps)
     It appears to be a good unit for an exciter but , without more info
I can't be sure !!!
     Is this a linear unit or a switcher unit ???
[snip]