[Amps] Astrons catching on Fire

To: "'m.ford'" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Astrons catching on Fire
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:58:53 -0400
Astrons catching Fire!?

Dear Mike and the Group,

What information can you offer on Astron power supplies
catching on fire?

Is there a suggested remedy to forestall or prevent such
catastrophe?

This is a Safety and Health related issue and deserves
the utmost consideration.

Thanks,

  Hal Mandel
W4HBM

[snip]
The Astrons use very marginal  filter caps. Add to that the component
laden pc boards mounted directly to the screw terminals and you are tempting
fate.

But the Astron RS-50 that I had produced quite a bit of acrid smoke when the
pc board caught fire. The RS-70 did the same thing but I was wise to the
smell
and shut it down before ignition.