Re: [Amps] pwr supplies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] pwr supplies
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 10:47:37 -0400
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
To: "'carl s.'" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:57 AM

> While the Astrons are hefty units, the Tripp-Lites are a close second.

I agree the Astrons are quite heavy.

> Tripp-Lites
> do not use as much filter capacitance as the Astrons,

The Astrons use very marginal  filter caps. Add to that the component
laden pc boards mounted directly to the screw terminals and you are tempting
fate.

 but their ripple
> voltage is
> way, way low. Both the Astrons and Tripp-Lites are linear supplies, and
> neither produce
> any noticeable hash in the receiver(s).

But the Astron RS-50 that I had produced quite a bit of acrid smoke when the
pc board caught fire. The RS-70 did the same thing but I was wise to the smell
and shut it down before ignition. They were however very quiet rf wise.

Mike  k1ern