Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

To: 'Amps' <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:56:56 +0000
Robert B. Bonner wrote:

>I think its pretty hard to beat a Drake L4B for a starter amp.
>
> it's a better quality amp
>than an SB-220 for close to the same price.

Interesting comparison.  Back in the 70s I chose an SB-220 over an L-4B
because the Heath generated less TVI when driven to the same input on CW
with the same exciter (Collins 32S-3).  That SB-220 is still going
strong today, even after modification to run 1500 watts output when the
rules changed.

TVI is probably not as important a consideration in these days of CATV
and satellite TV, and mine was certainly not a rigorous test, but your
comment makes me wonder what should be included or excluded when one
speaks of "quality", and what factors you used to conclude that the L-4B
is "better".

Bud, W2RU