Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..

To: "'Mike, K6BR'" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>,"'W2RU - Bud Hippisley'" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>,"'Amps'" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More information for "What NOT to buy"..
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:18:31 -0500
Hi Bud, all.

Lets face it the SB-220 has been the workhorse of ham radio for 30 years.

It was cheap, compact and popular.

However, the SB-220 was a modified cheapened up version of the L4 design.
Bad design concepts like floating the grids on resistors and caps was copied
into the SB-220.  Even my first 3-500 amps used this flawed concept as I
copied the L4 amps myself, but later learned there were better ways.

There's a huge advantage having the PS in a separate box.  It allows the
head to be more spacious and the components more rugged.  It's a very easy
amplifier to service.

The only changes I recommend for the L4 is:  Put a fan on the PS, ground the
grids and put a zener in the B-.

You've got a great amp.

With the SB-220 there's too much crammed into the small box.  Heat is an
enemy of power.  You ever seen the solder drip out of a 3-500z's pins?  The
plastic ring on late 3-500's is because of SB-220's  You'll not melt the
solder out of a correctly cooled L4B.

The L4 is top flight parts all the way through it.  Now take that sort of
quality and build the L4's ham radio stable replacement and you've got an
Ameritron.  But 2 to 3 times the price used.

BOB DD