Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)

To: rstealey@hotmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:25:34 EST
In a message dated 1/20/2007 10:17:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rstealey@hotmail.com writes:

I'll  tell you guys an interesting little story about 6 meter amps that is
relevant to this discussion.
A few years ago a friend came to me for  help with getting an amplifier
working on 6 meters.
He figured (rightly  so) that a cost-effective and time-effective way to go
was to convert  an
SB-220 that he had on hand.  He had redone the tank coil, and  substituted
new pi net caps,
but was only getting about 400 watts  out.  I think the original bandswitch
was still
in the  circuit.
I talked to my friend Lou W1QJ (appropriately named "goodguyham")  for
suggestions since I knew
he had a lot of experience with 6 m  amps.  Lou gave me a lot of advice for
such a conversion but said  rather than me inventing the wheel all over again
to bring the amp up to  his shop.  To make a long story short in 2 hours in
Lou's shop we had  new parasitic chokes installed by Lou, and a more
efficeint tuning cap  installed, and a few other secret touches that Lou knew
about because of  his experience.
We went home at 11 pm that night with a single band 6 meter  amp putting out
about 900 watts, COMPLETELY stable.  I mean more  stable than that amp is on
20 meters.  It is still  working
perfectly 5 years later.
Now, if someone was homebrewing a new 6  m amp would 3-500s be the best
choice of a tube?
Probably not.   But if you had an SB-220 and wanted a kw out on 6 meters,
there is no  choice
in the matter.  And let's not forget, "A watt is a watt."   And a kw from an
8877 is the same on the air as a kw from an  SB-220.
And if Lou offered me a tube better than an 8877, I wouldn't  hesitate for
one second to
buy it from him.  He is the most honest  and generous ham I ever met, and one
of the most
competent homebrewers  I know.  Not only that he goes to Dayton every year -
He's a  DOGGY!
(a member of "The Dayton Organized Group Gathering  Yearly")
Rick   K2XT

Gentlemen,  I rest my case.  Rick, it was a pleasure to help out  your friend
and meeting another fellow ham.
I am sure he'll be in the contest with that amp this weekend.  By the  way, I
sold one of my converted SB-220 amps to K1JT.  I tink he used it to  develop
his new WSJT protocol.  Another user of mine tells me he uses his  on WSJT all
the time on 6 meters.  GA-DAY....Lou