Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)

To: 'Tom W8JI' <w8ji@w8ji.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] EIMAC (8877 TYPE)
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:22:53 -0600
> On all the reflectors that I subscribe to, there is an
> abundance of misinformation.  We all come biased.

Sometimes people get carried away also, and read things into

things that are not said.

Comment - Effective communication.  Each of us has to be
careful of how and what we say so that it cannot be
misinterpreted.  The fault can be with both the speaker
and/or the receiver.  For example, with your comments below
I get the feeling that you believe I may have chastised your
choice of 6m amps.  Not so.  You have your reasons and Lou
has his reasons based on each ones experience.  The bottom
line - both choices work, and that is all I need to know.

> It is
> obviously important to be able to separate the theory,
> myths
> or crap from the jewels of information.  I continually
> support my philosophy by the experience factor.
> 'Experience
> trumps theory every time.'

Not actually.

What does happen is sometimes people misunderstand or misuse

information. That's quite often where the problem is.

Comment - Those who misunderstand or misuse information
still produce poor theories, myths or crap regardless.  The
theory of e........ is a good example.  I couldn't resist.

For example? My comment that I wouldn't gut and modify an
SB220, or in particular an SB200, for six meters is based on

the fact you have to be careful running a 3-500Z on 50MHz.
What we get away at on HF just doesn't fly up there unless
you have a lot of dumb luck, and it basically will ruin the
amp for any other use.

On the other hand with a reasonable layout in an HF amp like

the AL800 with a 3CX800A7 we can move the ten meter tap,
redo the input for ten to six, and have a bandswitched amp
that will work 160-15 and 6 meters and run 900 watts or more

if you don't mind hammering the tube a little.

This wasn't a reflection on anyone's ability, it's just a
simple fact. If I wanted to convert or build a six meter
amp, I'd use a tube that is easy to manage on six meters.
I've made 4-  6MJ6 sweep tubes amplify on six meters with
400 watts out... and I could easily repeat that trick over
and over...but I'd never crow about how great an amp that
makes or advise people to try that at home. I'd never
pretend it was "more stable on six than on twenty meters".

People are often like toggle switches. They are either on or

off, and assume because one thing is not the best idea or
one claim is wrong everything is wrong. Case in point, Lou's

3CPX1500 tubes. People had them hitting the case, failing
from low heater voltage, and all sorts of things. The fact
is that tube is actually a good direct plug in for an
8877...and if the top hits the case of the amplifier whoever

built the sheet metal was an absolute moron to have it so
close in the first place.

This reflector, like antenna reflectors, has a tendency to
go off on long meaningless tangents and the entire initial
point is lost in all the opinions. Because something doesn't

work like people think or as well as people might imagine
certainly doesn't mean it won't work at all.

Comment - Interesting.  For example (sorry not an amp
example), we have had in the past discussions about half
sloper antennas.  You don't recommend them is my
understanding.  However, at my QTH I use 160m half slopers
and I feel (based on my ability to do well in contests and
work DX from this northern latitude) they work very well for
me.  So different experiences lead to different reports.
The DX Engineering receive 4 sq that you designed works very
well for me and I recommend it based on my experience.  I
personally would not recommend it based on theory or someone
else's experience.  I have tried too many antenna designs
that work for some but didn't work for me either because of
my QTH or possibly my poor construction. For me 'Experience
at my QTH trumps theory every time'.  QED

Doug

73 Tom

Date: 1/17/2007 4:45 PM