Re: [Amps] Relais for an antenna crossover switch

To: "Guido Tedeschi" <guidoted@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relais for an antenna crossover switch
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:34:34 +0200
I do not think that you have to worry about the
ratings of the 30A relays, but to be sure you are better to make
an actual RF current carrying test to check for heating of the relay contacts.

The reason for this is that some relay contact alloys are not suitable
for carrying high RF currents. It appears that the contacts should be of
as pure silver as possible to avoid RF heating problems.

I have no recent experiences of high-power RF switching with ordinary
power relays, but a 10 x 5 switching matrix that I designed in the 80's
for use with 3 - 5 kW SSB/Data commercial transmitters used a now discontinued
ITT DPDT 15 A/250V power relay with hard silver contacts.

The matrix was built on thick double-sided G10 board (3,2 mm)
with 160 micron copper coating. Row and column traces were arranged at right
angles to another,
and the matrix provided an isolation of about 30 - 35 dB up to 25 MHz.
Power ratings were tested at 3 kW CW at a maximum  SWR of  2:1.

Looking into current designs using relay RF switching, the Siemens and the
Fujitsu/Takamisawa relays are often found.
The Fujitsu VS 24STBU-5 10A relay series are commonly used for switching in
1 kW antenna tuners for maritime radio.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM