Re: [Amps] Relais for an antenna crossover switch

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relais for an antenna crossover switch
From: Guido Tedeschi <guidoted@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 01:29:35 +0200
Tom W8JI wrote:
> Even a relay like a Tyco RTD140 series will handle 5-10 kW at HF if
> you do not hot switch and it has a very short RF path. I suggest you
> buy and test a few small relays on 10 meters to establish your own RF
> rating. Long lead lengths will hurt anything you try to do. It's all
> about the RF path through the relay, not the contact buttons.
Hi Tom and all,
    thanks for your suggestions.
I tried the relay with this ugly setup with dummy load on moving
contacts, using MiniVNA:
http://www.hamlan.org/maco/s66_test.jpg
The SWR graph is this (1,2:1 on 10m and 1:1 on 160m), see the graph:
http://www.hamlan.org/maco/s66_swr.jpg
The Transmission Loss (terminating the port with 50OHM) is -30dB on 10m
and 56db on 160m, see the graph (the limit of MiniVNA is -50dB):
http://www.hamlan.org/maco/s66_tl.jpg
The results are the same also using using 100W and a 50MHz oscilloscope.
Tomorrow I will try adding another relay and Monday I will try with
1500W and I will see if something will be "warm"...
Thanks and ciao
Guido, ik2bcp