Re: [Amps] higher v.?? CFL

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] higher v.?? CFL
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:34:47 -0500
Virtually all of our CFL were purchased within the past three years,
some as recently as a couple of months ago.  But we have a stock
of a dozen or more that have never been installed -- probably some
are approaching three years of age but some are almost new.

Probably 90% of the CFLs are GE (made in China) with a smattering
of the older ones being Lights of America with no listing for country
of origin.  Maybe the US, I guess since they ARE Lights of America.
Most of them (and all of the recent purchases) were made at either
Sams Club or WalMart.

The one that failed with all of the stink and some ugly looking liquid
running down the side from inside the electronics part is a Lights of
America unit.   The two that died last night are both GE.  One of them
started smoking as soon as it blew, the other did not.

So I have to think these are at least 2nd generation if not 3rd generation --
at least for some.

I measure my line voltage with the same Fluke meter that the power
company uses.  And I guess I should dig out my Kill-a-Watt to see
what the Power Factor is on these things.

Anyway, FWIW -- John  W0UN