Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu
From: "James M. Daly" <AD1L@AD1L.COM>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 22:43:07 -0400
Nermin,

I do not have direct experience freighting an Amp out of the US into the EU,
but I do have recent experience with cargo in the opposite direction, EU to
US.

Last Monday I picked up my OptiBeam OB11-3 antenna from the Swiss Air
WorldCargo warehouse at Boston Logan Airport. Thomas (DF2BO) used Rohlig
AirCargo as his freight forwarding agent, but Swiss WorldCargo was the
actual carrier. The package was picked up by truck at Tom's shop and
transported to nearby Stuttgart DE, flown to Zurich CH and then on to Boston
US. The details are; 1 carton (251cm x 22cm x 19cm) weighing 37Kg. Total
cost to me from Tom's shop to my airport 180-Euro, the Swiss Air Waybill
listed 148-Euro for their portion of that amount. I also paid a $30
"terminal fee" at Logan.

Shipment took two days total, and the carton was in pristine condition, not
a mark on it!

You might try having your Brother ring the Bensenville, Illinois location
for Swiss Air WorldCargo at +1(630)595-0055
http://www.swissworldcargo.com/web/op-nd-de-ord
You might be able to workout shipment from Chicago (ORD) to Venice IT (VCE)
which would be about a 132Km drive for you to pick up (if that's allowed).
Venice, Italy location for Swiss Air WorldCargo at +39(04)1260 3413
http://www.swissworldcargo.com/web/op-nd-de-vce2

You are going to want to have your Brother ring US Customs and Border
Protection's Service Port in Rosemont, IL at +1(847)928-3000
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/il/3901.xml
And find out about the requirements for exporting goods.
You of course, if you haven't already are going to want to review the
details for importing goods to Slovenia.
http://www.carina.gov.si/
You may not be able to clear the item yourself; they may require you to use
an Accredited Broker. I do see that Nova Gorica is an authorized customs
border so that is one thing in your favor.

I can tell you in a simplistic manner that for importing into the US we are
allowed to present an clear items for personal use through the Customs
Office without an Accredited Broker as "Informal Entries" provided the goods
have a declared value of less then $2000, and we are able to present an Air
waybill, invoice for goods detailing value, and proof of US Citizenship
(Passport only) or Resident Alien Status (Green Card only). We are
responsible for any duty to be paid. In my case I was expecting 3%, they
however said there would be "no duty" and simply charged me a $9 processing
fee. The rules in Slovenia may be very, very different for import.

I hope this will be of some help to you getting your Amp home or perhaps
others who are importing/exporting, and I am sorry if it was long.

Peace
James - AD1L