Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New SB-200 owner
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:59:10 +0200 (CEST)
Like Carl and Steve, I've been doing RF engineering for a living for over forty
years now. It sems to me that sometimes, a badly engineered design gets thrust
into production because management say it must, regardless of what they're
told. On occasion, a component is critical, and it gets changed by the
manufacturer or purchasing buy an 'equivalent'. After 28 years in the IC
industry, I'm a great believer in the statement that as far as second sources
are concerned, for analogue ICs, they generally don't exist. I've even seen
cases where the humble 748 op amp from one manufacturer wouldn't work in a
circuit, but one from another would.
I've seen the glass frit that goes into dual in line ceramic packages changed
to improve hermeticity. Unfortunately, the dielectric constant went up an
enormous factor, and a whole load of different analogue IC designs were all of
a sudden no longer capable of being manufactured.
The one thing you can be sure of (besides taxes) is that 'Murphy Rules, OK?'
73
Peter G3RZP