[Amps] Fw: 2008 Shelby Hamfest

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: 2008 Shelby Hamfest
From: "Keith E. Spainhour" <KSpainhour@wilkes.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:57:40 -0500
 Shelby North Carolina Hamfest.

http://www.shelbyhamfest.org/hamfest.htm

    This is a C/P from the Shelby club web page.
http://www.shelbyhamfest.org/hamfest.htm
    SIGNAL FADES ON 50-YEAR CLEVELAND COUNTY TRADITION
         It is with much regret that the Shelby Amateur Radio Club has made the
decision not to have the 2008 Shelby Hamfest at the Cleveland County
Fairgrounds.
        After 6 months of visiting the Fairgrounds on a regular basis to try to
get a contract, we received a non-negotiable contract in the mail that makes it
seem apparent the Fair Association does not want us to be there.  The proposed
contract cut our use of the grounds in half and increased our price by 30%.
They also added two (2) limitations to the contract, both of which are things
we have been doing as long as we have been using the fairgrounds, and the fair
manager knows are necessary for us to accommodate our guests and vendors.  A
letter was sent to the board chairman, Teri Bullock outlining our needs and
requesting the courtesy of a face-to-face meeting to try to negotiate.  The
letter asked for finalization by March 28, 2008, so that we could continue our
planning for the hamfest.  Since we did not get a reply, we have no choice to
cancel our plans for the 2008 Hamfest.

        We would like to apologize to the motels, restaurants, and other
businesses in the county for loss of revenue caused by this cancellation.
Estimates we have received (from the County Commissioners) indicate that
approximately 1/2 million dollars is normally added to Cleveland County's
economy during this event.
         We also want to apologize to the charities and organizations of
Cleveland County, which have received a share of the profits from our Hamfest.
We appreciate the help you have given us during this event.
        We will have fundraisers to help keep our repeaters and emergency
equipment operational, and hope to be able to continue to provide radio
communication and support to Cleveland County.
    Options for a smaller Hamfest will be explored if other properties become
available within the Cleveland, Gaston, or Rutherford county area.
    Robby Hamrick, WA4RH
    Hamfest Chairman