Re: [Amps] nichrome wire

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] nichrome wire
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 11:53:32 -0500
> Guess what guys, I have quite a bit of it kicking around my shack, it's  free
> to whoever wants it.  I dare say its the real McCoy, or should I say  the
> real Mc Measures.

I'm a sceptic in many things too. You don't want to hear my views on
formal religion nor my take on politics; they're both personal
matters of faith and my solid belief may not mirror another's.

On the topic of Nichrome wire (which I asked where to find ready
access), I don't know Rich Measures personally though I did put a set
of those suppressors in my old 220 and had no untoward effects. To
me, it makes sense if I am putting in the effort of re padding my
amplifier, I remember hearing an argument from Measures back in the
80's or 90's that it did work.

Considering his QSK with optoisolator/Vacuum relay worked perfectly
as described in that same 220, I have no reason to doubt the man or
his obvious superior knowledge over mine, to create working
circuitry.

Pick any person who sticks his neck out and says something new or
tangential to conventional wisdom and there will be other equally
qualified and perhaps with a greater bully pulpit saying the opposite
and that it is fools folly. Which religion or politics do you choose
to follow? The one you personally agree with of course.

Make that exclusive to amplifiers: Exactly which amplifier is it that
someone else doesn't see a way to improve on the original design and
then have a raft of followers who believes those modifications or
modifications of those modifications are the better way to go?

So Maybe Nichrome works, maybe it doesn't work. If it's a toss up,
I'll give an idea a go, I know the placebo effect works and I find
that useful from time to time in my work. Why it works? Faith from
the patient and their body responds in organically measurable ways.
(Pun intended)  :)

So if you weren't kidding and do have some of that nichrome wire and
could spare a foot, I'd appreciate getting a piece and am happy to
reimburse your shipping.

Thanks,

Gary