[Amps] Dual tetrode in grounded grid

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Dual tetrode in grounded grid
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:44:00 -0800 (PST)
Although not a "high powered" amplifier I am thinking of trying to use a 5894
(dual tetrode that is the next step up from the 829B) in grounded grid rather
than the "normal" grid driven configuration on the 222 MHz band.  The peak
output would be around 100 watts.

One of the reasons is because I have between 5 and 10 watts out of my
transmitting converter and that is way too much for driving the grids of the
5894 in a grid driven linear application.  Due to the design of the
transmitting converter (also home brew with a 6360 dual tetrode final
amplifier) I would have to use an attenuation pad between the converter and the
linear instead of just dropping the power from the converter by detuning, etc.

I started to build the amplifier in the usual push-pull configuration and then
got to thinking about grounded grid.  Anyone have any experience with running a
dual tetrode with push-pull output in a grounded grid configuration?  The 5894
has a single cathode connection for both tetrodes.  Also, since it does have a
separate cathode I don't have to think about a filament choke.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com