Re: [Amps] FW: 3-500z Silly question

To: "'MIKE DURKIN'" <patriot121@msn.com>, "'amps fourm'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: 3-500z Silly question
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:03:38 +0300
DC operation of a directly heated tube is problematic, to say the least.
The DC component of the heater voltage combines with the bias voltage to
produce a varying voltage along the filament, causing unequal emission from
different parts. Not very healthy!
In addition, the heater voltage source has to be left floating. A power
rheostat of about 5 ohms or so is connected with the slider to the B-
terminal and the ends to the heater pins. It's set at the middle point.
Alternatively you can connect a pair of 2Ώ/ 5W resistors- one from each
heater pin to the B- point. Don't forget to bypass the resistors for RF. Use
RF power capacitors!! They carry both the input and the output currents.
Alex    4Z5KS