Re: [Amps] TL922 Power Plugs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL922 Power Plugs
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:21:23 -0500
> My Neutral and Ground is connected at the main panel but also at
> the barn 300 feet away. I am running a 3 wire 100 amp 240v power 4 00
> aluminum line to the barn from a 100 amp 240v breaker located in my main
>distribution box.  I didn't like the idea of a gnd neutral tie that far
>away from
> the barn, so I tied them together at the barn with a second ground rod
> located
>at the barn. Is that such a bad idea?

See NEC 250.32(A) and (B).  Since your 3-wire system is existing, the 4-wire
requirement beginning with the 2008 NEC likely does not apply -- but may
under your local code.  New detached structure wiring generally requires
4-wire service whether or not there is a continuous metallic path between
structures  In no event should the neutral and ground come in contact again
from the feeder path to the barn's sub-panel (as it seems to exists now).
Being a detached building, the barn service entrance must be grounded/bonded
to its own grounding electrode or grounding electrode system in accordance
with Part III of NEC Section 250.

Paul, W9AC