Re: [Amps] Dummy Loads & Wattmeters

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dummy Loads & Wattmeters
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:22:30 +0000
Alex Eban wrote:
> Guys:
> +/- 10% equals 0.4dB error. I don't know of many general purpose instruments
> that are better than +/- 1dB which is about 20%. Don't go too far. The Air
> Force and the army use either Birds or Philco-Sierra power meters for
> testing military and airborne equipment and it's good enough. When you go
> into single digit percent figures, you're talking about tenths or hundredths
> of dB less than the thickness of the meter's pointer on an analogue meter.
> It's meaningless from a practical standpoint. Be reasonable!
> Alex  4Z5KS

I am being reasonable. In one of my earlier posts I said:

"I can't really think why a ham needs to know RF power very accurately. In which
case, Bird 43's are fine."

I am saying if you want better accuracy, then there are other options. I was
sharing some rather outdated knowledge about what at the time at least
(probably
still is) the most accurate way of measuring power.

I've also suggested some other methods, like a directional coupler, which are
practical for amateur use.

Another method which is quite practical is a high power attenuator. These do
exist, but I've no idea if they are available cheaply. If you do find one, you
need to power at only one end only. I can image a lot on the second hand market
have had some idiot apply power at the wrong end, which will destroy them.

TIP,

If you ever come across an attenuator, here is a quick was to find out if its
working correctly or not.

1) Measure the DC resistance at one end with a DVM. Make sure the resistance
measured at the other end is similar. Call this R1

2) Short one end of the an attenuator with a bit of wire, and measure the
resistance at the other end. It should be lower. Call that R2.

The character impedance Zo is sqrt(R1*R2). If that is about 50, the attenuator
is probably 50 Ohms, and working.

It's also possible to determine the attenuation from simple DC resistance
measurements, though I can't recall the formula. Basically, for attenuators
with
  high attenuation, the resistance measured at the other end will not change
much when you put a short across the other end.

Dave