Re: [Amps] FW: Decent HF directional coupler for RF power meas.

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Decent HF directional coupler for RF power meas.
From: "Phil & Debbie Salas" <dpsalas@tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 20:11:04 -0600
The VNA uncertainty is less at lower attenuation levels.  Supposedly better
than 0.1dB at 50 dB attenuation.  And obviously it is zero at 0 dB (straight
thru coax) as that is where it is calibrated,  The Array Solutions test
set-up uses a 30 dB pad so that 100 watts looks like 100 milliwatts on their
HP436A.  Anyway, .The PowerMaster is supposedly within 5% accuracy across
the full range (not just at full power for a given element like the Bird) -
and that's what the ARRL lab tests showed as well.

I don't know why, but I've been obscessed with measuring power accurately
for awhile.  I actually feel pretty good about measurements made with a
carefully built detector.  I use a 1N5711 and SMD capacitors in the
detector, and use this across a 50 ohm load that has over 40dB return loss.
And then I built a precision voltage reference (0.5%) just to check my
digital voltmeter.

I need to spend more time on the air.

Phil - AD5X