Re: [Amps] QRO Questions

To: "Larry Benko" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO Questions
From: "Edward Gable" <EGABLE@Rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:08:50 -0500
That RG-142 is great stuff.  As test engineer at Harris I often had ten, 10
kW TX's on burn-in at the same time with the dummy loads near the TX.  20+
kW of heat generated by each was waaaay to much for the A/C and the plant
got really hot.  I had to move the dummy loads 300 feet away into an unused
basement area and used ten lengths of RG-142.  It lasted for years and only
burped once when a type C connector arced and left black soot on the
ceiling, and that was due to improper installation of the connector.   The
coax got hot but never to a point where you couldn't grab on to it
comfortably with your hand.  I retired years ago and to my knowledge the
over half mile of really good coax is still in the ceiling at the plant.
Fun memories.  73,  /Ed  k2mp