Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:19:49 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:10:48 -0400, "Gary Schafer"
<garyschafer@comcast.net> wrote:

>Yes that's right. You can solder a wire to each side of a sheet of copper
>and there will be no current passed thru the copper sheet to the wire on the
>other side. You can even have a solid piece of wire going thru the copper
>sheet and if you solder it to the sheet on each side, nothing gets thru.
>Same for a screw going thru the sheet. If it is grounded all around the
>head, as it usually is, then nothing gets thru. The surface currents act on
>the head of the screw just like they do on the flat surface. They cancel
>currents deeper below the surface. This is "classic skin effect" at work.

REPLY:

Then how does a coax connector pass RF through a chassis? We can agree
the center (insulated) conductor is no problem, but how does the
grounded shield side pass RF through the chassis? According to your
theory, the skin effect should stop it dead but we all know it does
not.

And what about the ground lug on the amplifier chassis? Some guys run
a long wire directly to center pin of the RF output connector and
connect a ground wire to the ground lug for the other side of the
antenna. According to your theory, no RF should be getting through the
chassis to the ground lug, but it does. How?

73, Bill W6WRT