Re: [Amps] LCR meter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LCR meter
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:49:03 -0700
On 3/30/2010 4:47 AM, Jack/W6NF wrote:
> I have used an HP LCR meter at work but never paid any attention to the
> frequency at which the measurement is made. I wonder what discrepancies in
> measurement values of L and C could be encountered if one measured at
> various RF frequencies, and why they might occur. I have seen such
> discrepancies, using a popular antenna analyzer, even though I was careful
> not to introduce sources of error, like lead lengths.

If the coil has a ferrite or iron core of any kind, the inductance varies a lot
with
frequency. Inductors with cores must be measured near the operating frequency.
And in
general, as you raise the frequency the various stray capacitances and
inductances in the
device under test become more significant.
--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA