[Amps] lcr meter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] lcr meter
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:56:18 -0700
)Yeah, if you call 9.99 to  10.09 anything ! And then you DON'T even guess
how much stray inductance you added when you soldered it in with unknown
length pigtails!!

## Now u know why I never, EVERr use  wire  to connect caps, coils, or anything
else.
##  it's always super wide cu strap... like  1-1.5" wide, or for tuned inputs,
3/8" wide.
##  If making a plate block assy, I'll use  AL plate on both sides of 6-9 x
HT-57's.

##  If u don't like the stray L from say .01uf  disc caps.. I solder strap to
the wire leads
dead center, down the middle.. and stray uh  drops to nil.

## If I do a temp hook up  with wire, say for tank coil temp taps,  then wire is
replaced with wide strap,  the tune and load caps  are outa whack.  If wire is
used for interconnecting relays on a remote ant switchbox, the Z is screwed
up.  It's  strap or nothing.  Braid doesn't work either.    we ran outa  strap
one night.. and used  some 1"  wide  tinned braid  for a tank coil tap.. and
it just abt exploded, sparks everywhere.

2) Rauch is right! That , when you hit series resonance, reactances add in
series opposing and cancel. that how you get a trap. The effect , though, is
pronounced only close to resonance.

3) when you compress a coil you increase the self inductance, but also the
self resonant frequency.

3) could you please explain to us munchkins what you mean by the last
statement?

## exactly what it sez... the mfj 259 is a glorified swr meter.  Don't even
think abt using it to set taps on a tank coil, or winding coils  for  hairpins
LC networks  or anything else, ur wasting ur time with it.  Either that, or
both my  259's and all 4  of my friends 259's  are all out to lunch.  If u
want a real piece of  test gear.... buy something else.

Jim   VE7RF

Alex 4Z5KS