Re: [Amps] Heath copyright

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Heath copyright
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:11:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
"Nobody is denying the societal benefit of copyrights.  What is being
disputed is the societal benefit of eternal copyrights,"

Why is this position different than saying when I build a commercial building
with my labor, and rent it out for 25 years, that I have benefitted enough so
that it should then revert to public domain, and become a public building?  Is
that freedom?  What are the societal benefits of letting someone keep the
building he built forever?  If the government takes the building away for the
good of the public, how would we feel about that?

I just looked at the Heath manual website.  It is owned by a former Heath
employee.  A SB-220 manual sells for $22, which is less than 25 cents a page.
So, you spend $600 for a SB-220 that you buy without a manual and complain
about $22 for a manual?  This is significantly less than the $1 a page you pay
to the local government office for a public domain document?

Colin  K7FM