Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:11:32 -0700
The capacitors don't replace batteries, but they can save a lot in power supply
and cable
size. I used to have a ss amp which required around 90A at 12v, and I used a
pair of 75
amp Astrons and some huge 00 gauge welding cables to keep the drop down
(connecting them
to the amp was interesting).

However, by putting a very large capacitor AT THE AMPLIFIER, you can use
smaller wires and
a smaller power supply. The capacitor charges during periods of low current
draw and then
supplies power when needed. These are popular here with the morons that have
insanely
powerful audio amplifiers in their trucks.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA