Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:49:04 -0400
 > However, by putting a very large capacitor AT THE AMPLIFIER, you can
 > use smaller wires and a smaller power supply. The capacitor charges
 > during periods of low current draw and then supplies power when
 > needed.

This only works with CW and unprocessed SSB.  Heavily processed SSB
and digital modes have a sufficiently high duty cycle (low peak to
average ratio) that the capacitor is not able to completely charge.

This effect is seen with transceivers using the Gamma Research HPS-1A:
http://www.gammaresearch.net/hps-1a.html.  Better a properly sized
switching supply ... for example, the MFJ-4125 is about $80 on-line
for a 22A continuous/25A peak rating vs. $170 for the HPS-1A with its
5A continuous/22A peak rating.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV