Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?

To: "Frederick Mott" <fredmott@zoominternet.net>, <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?
From: "Jim Tonne" <tonne@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:40:57 -0400
I think that Bill and Fred have summarized things
nicely.

But I also suspect that the "tiny" tubes like a 6BA6
are assembled in a relatively (if not entirely) automated
operation.  And I chose the 6BA6 because of how the
first grid is formed, with that nonuniform winding.

The "big" tubes - those with 100 kW or more of plate
dissipation - offer the same challenges that the 1000
watt tubes do but are simply scaled up and are
larger in every respect and so probably relatively
easier to build.   The cost of materials in those huge
tubes is probably significant.   So is warranty cost.

- JimT   W4ENE