Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?

To: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@f2s.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV rectifier strings - to bypass or not?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:39:20 -0400
Basic filtering is already in place to prevent RF from getting into the AC
line. Many hams do not use an earth ground to the chassis and going to a .01
line to chassis bypass can give a nice tingle at 240V when you interconnect
floating cables.

However a suitable commercial type 240V 20-30A suppressor is large, and
expensive if bought new. I have a 50A computer surplus one from a DEC
mainframe, installed at the main panel which feeds 2 amplifier outlets. The
other 240V lines into the shack and the workbench are unprotected until I
locate more filters. These commercial filters mandate an earth ground.

The computer manufacturers thought enough about having clean AC so I dont
understand why a few hams are arguing the subject. Spikes can cause damage,
plain and simple.

Carl
KM1H