Re: [Amps] time to death in the event of a blower failure

To: Adrian <vk4tux@bigpond.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] time to death in the event of a blower failure
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:52:15 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
"I am surprised that a laser thermometer sensor with a programmable safety
output level has not been
utilised in high end amps."

Remember, Adrian, that many of us are hobbyists who have long debates about how
neutrals are connected, whether parasitic suppressors need to be wound
clockwise or counter-clockwise and prefer old analog meters to digital
readouts.  Many of us have learned that the more features an amplifier has, the
less likely it is to get finished, or even started.  I have one of those amps I
started about 10 years ago.  From time to time, I go back to finish it and
cannot read my documentation or even trace my wiring.  Thank goodness I have
about 10 other less complex amplifiers to get me through.

I have one Alpha 76A that I modified to include a whole bunch of safety
features, but the rf got into my unshielded wiring and kept tripping my grid
protect.  So, all of that came out.

Your idea is great for hams with the dedication, time and skills to implement
it - but I am not one of those.  I do like the idea of having an amp with a big
enough grid that it cannot be damaged even if you do something stupid and
sufficient dissipation that you do not have to tune up in 10 seconds.

73,  Colin  K7FM