Re: [Amps] time to death in the event of a blower failure

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] time to death in the event of a blower failure
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:44:05 -0600
Paul,

Oh, the sweet ACOM.  What an amp!  I saw the ACOM in action and marvelled at
the silent and air-as-you-need-it-only variable speed
arrangement.  It was that amp that got me onto this love of variable speed amp
fans.

But there is also a reasonable case to be made by the guys who suggest the MCU
et. al. modern goodies have a downside.  In my case,
I am much less worried of a fan failure (as there are 2 fans providing
redundancy) - but the idea of RF getting into my control
circuitry and the fan controller not firing as a result - that would
undoubtedly happen in the heat of some latte night RTTY contest
and I would have crispy finals before I realized it.

The switch is simple, nearly impervious to failure, and will help me sleep at
night.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com