Re: [Amps] Trying to locate amplifier

To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Trying to locate amplifier
From: "Sam Carpenter" <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:47:41 -0500
Moto did make some very robust VHF tube amps. Most that I have seen come
through the shop over the years have been with a Moto marked conduction
cooled tubes that strap to a very large heat sink in the back. The tubes
looked like 8873 series tubes. The tank was VERY robust and I have seen
people use the RF deck with 8877 tubes. I think these were quarter K
amplifiers but would do much more. I will look around the service manual
archives we have in the shop and see if I can find models and spec's for
you. There were also tube HF amps made. I think they were rated at a K.
Power supply would not do too much more. There is a bit of data on the web
if you google around. I think I found things using Motorola HF amplifier. I
think that is where I saw the conversions as well.

There are tons of paging transmitters sitting idle right now. When I go out
to high profile sites they are just sitting there unplugged. I think the
market fell out so fast that they never picked them up or hauled any away. I
think most of the site owners would gladly have someone haul them away. Most
of the tube units were back-up for the newer glenayre solid state units.
They are pretty sweet too. I think though that the VHF amps were run in
Class C. I think that the HF amplifier started with the letters THD, or THE.
That may help refine the search. I will save this and let you know if I run
across anything.

Sam N9FUT