Re: [Amps] 4 X 4-400C or 4 X 3-500Z HF amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4 X 4-400C or 4 X 3-500Z HF amplifier
From: Angel Vilaseca <avilaseca@bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:26:00 +0100
Hi,

I bought a NOS 5CX1500A. I plan to use it in an HF amp.

Sockets for this tube are rather scarce. Has someone tried to use it in
a home-made fixture?

I know, a tube is supposed to be used in the original socket, but this
is HF, not VHF or UHF, and there is the example of another ceramic tube,
the GS 35B, for which there is simply no socket available.

So, provided the ceramic isolators receive enough airflow ( maybe I
could use a couple of small computer fans) and connections and
decoupling caps leads are kept short, could this work?

Anyone tried this before?

Vy 73

Angel HB9SLV