Re: [Amps] Fan for SB220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fan for SB220
From: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:44:39 -0800
If the equipment has strong forced-air cooling, then heat-sink surface
finish isn't very important.  If anodized with black oxide coating it will
reduce thermal resistance up to 25% if convection cooling.

We did these test in our development lab years ago to prove a point to
marketing who wanted a silver look because it was "Prettier".

Mike

If the equipment has low airflow, then radiation cooling becomes important,
and black anodized aluminum radiates enormously better than bare unfinished
aluminum.