Re: [Amps] TenTec Centurion - 422 tuning question

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TenTec Centurion - 422 tuning question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:40:42 -1000

> It's also important to realize that a pi-network is an impedance
> matching network.  So changing the value of the capacitors changes the
> match between the output impedance of the tubes and the connected
> transmission line.

When I first read this I thought " Yeah that is pretty important, I sure
hope everyone talking about amplifiers realizes that."

Then I thought about it a bit more and realized it is only true if you
interpret the statement correctly. If you meant "the impedance of the
connected transmission line", that is only true when the connected
transmission line feeds a load with an impedance equal to that of the
line. This is a special case, which we typically try to achieve, and
some are rather fixated on that goal, thinking it is of utmost
importance. The general case, which is reality when we are tuning the
amplifier Pi network, is that the Pi-net matches the output impedance of
the tubes to the impedance presented by the transmission line, which is
not the same thing (except in the special case) as the transmission line
impedance.

DE N6KB