Re: [Amps] 2 more questions-- electrical

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 more questions-- electrical
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 07:59:29 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:31:21 -0400, "Sam Carpenter"
<sam@owenscommunication.com> wrote:

>I also notice that he asked about "Shack" ground. Anyone who has run QRO and
>used only electrical grounds gets RF burns to the lips on a mic, to the
>underside of the forearm on the corners of chairs and desks. Sometimes quite
>embarrassing on a voice peak to burn the hell out of your self and create
>another unwanted voice peak. The electric panel is not a suitable shack
>"RF"ground and things get uglier the higher in power you go.

REPLY:

If you are getting RF in the shack, you do not have a grounding problem,
you have an antenna problem. You do NOT need an RF ground at your shack
in any way. The only grounds your shack needs are for safety of the AC
mains and for lightning.

RF in the shack problems indicate an unbalance in the antenna and/or
feedline system and can almost always be cured by proper application of
a balun or unun.

RF energy is expensive to generate. Do not waste it by running it
through dirt. Get it up in the air where it belongs.

73, Bill W6WRT