Re: [Amps] 3-1000 Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-1000 Amplifiers
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:53:12 -0400
On 5/11/2011 3:20 PM, Sam Carpenter wrote:
> I don't think it takes as much as we might think sometimes to do awesome
> destruction with either pressure or vacuum. I think a pressure cooker is
> only at around 12 pounds if I remember correctly and look at the launch that
> lid can produce. Sometimes a few stories and out the roof.

The pressure cooker has a lot of cubic inches inside at that pressure
which is a LOT of energy.

I've washed many a glass tube. Although I'd not want to be hanging onto
one the size of a 3 or 4-1000 when it broke, (and be wearing safety
*goggles* ).  I have broken tubes the size of 4-400s which resulted in
just a healthy *pop*.  The only ones that have ever concerned me were
CRTs. Even those are most often pretty much a non event, BUT sometimes
they can be spectacular. Usually the neck would get broken or the seal
which just hissed at you.  I had one fall 3 feet to a concrete floor,
landing on its face.  Didn't even scratch it. Of course the large glass
transmitting tubes are not that rugged.

BTW I'd not use a dishwasher as they are likely to remove all printing
from the tube.

As to the force on the outside of the tube, just multiply the surface
area in square inches by 15 to get the total pounds.  A 5" diameter tube
has a circumference of 3.14*5=15.7"  If the envelope is 5" tall then the
area of the vertical face is 78 sq in * 15 psi = 1177.5# of force on the
vertical surface, but if we calculate the area of each end as Pi*r^2
then 3.14*2.5^2= 6.25 sq in * 2(ends)= 12.5 * 15 = another 187# for a
total force on the outside of the tube of 1365#.  Its actually higher
than that as the ends are not flat plates.

73

Roger (K8RI)