[Amps] Picture tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Picture tubes
From: Rob Stampfli <rob@cboh.org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 16:07:14 -0400
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 03:53:12PM -0400, Roger (sub1) wrote:
> just a healthy *pop*.  The only ones that have ever concerned me were
> CRTs. Even those are most often pretty much a non event, BUT sometimes
> they can be spectacular. Usually the neck would get broken or the seal
> which just hissed at you.  I had one fall 3 feet to a concrete floor,
> landing on its face.  Didn't even scratch it. Of course the large glass
> transmitting tubes are not that rugged.

I have a friend who removed a rather large picture tube from a console
once.  I think it was around 27" diagonally.  He wanted to dispose of
the tube and electronics and re-use the cabinet.  The tube was much
heavier than I would have thought.  I guess those tubes have to be
pretty thick on their face if they are to be anywhere near flat.
(And, the glass there is probably leaded to cut down on soft x-rays.)

Anyway, we pondered whether the picture tube would float or not.  I
said it would; my friend said, no, too heavy.  We were going to fill
a large trash container with water and test it, but never got around
to it.

So, what's the verdict:  sink or float?

Rob / KD8WK